Monday 13 June 2011

Engine Rebuild Part 1 - Teardown












So when it comes to the engine rebuild I've gone past the point of no return. To day I split the engine case and found a few shocking things! The oil punp came out painlessly and the case split with out a trauma.

No 1 Burning Oil












Over all the internals look good, ish! On first look inside the case the main bearings had no signs of abnormal and, although  it could do with a proper inspection, it looks as though the crank may not need a regrind. I measured the crank and the thrust and everything is at standard size. However the thrust has pounded 0.1mm out of my crank case, this was no surprise to me as there was a bit of visible movement.



All to do now for the tear down is to pull off the crank gear, remove the con rods and give every thing a good de greasing and clean and then post the case to the machine shop for a line bore.



Now for the bad parts, well not so much bad but shoddy workman ship. The first thing I found was the gland nut, I couldn't get my 36mm socket on it because some bright spark used a chisel to knock it off instead of leavers, shock and heat as I had done successfully on Paul's engine. When I removed the heads I found that the shoot was a bit oily so this could be worn piston rings or maybe worn valve guides so a closer inspection is required. The next bit of shoddyness I found was that piston No 3 had one of the gudgeon pin retaining clips missing!

Anyway, tomorrow is strip down of the heads ready for shot blasting and rebuild.

No comments:

Post a Comment