Wednesday 8 June 2011

Milestone


So I've hit a bit of a mile stone with the rot box, all major panels welded, gear box cleaned up and on Sunday we  dragged it back to my garage in Fleetwood. The next job is to rip out the headliner, strip the doors and cut out the window rubbers ready for spraying. I have some one coming to look at it on Saturday morning to give me a price. Also I've asked him to finish off bits of welding which are cosmetic and don't want to mess up.
Rolling Again!

I decided that the front suspension and brakes are to be done after paint because of any welding any such at the front so my attention has turned to the power plant. Currently its a boggo VW twin port 1600 air cooled motor with a cracked cylinder head. I've managed to acquire a used replacement at the right price so the heads will be rebuilt. I toyed with different ideas for a street machine like high ratio rockers and a longer duration cam and back to keeping it stock. I also thought about twin carbs or going back to stock. I was reading about twin choke  carbs and how the MPG can be gained along with performance if set up correctly and that the stock manifolds are very inefficient (currently I have a progressive 32/36 of stock manifold and the MPG return is not the best.
Meaty

I've got to a where I've bought parts and made a decision and sticking with it. I am upping to 1641 as I found a bargain set on-line which will be working with a stock cam and stock rockers. I would like to go for a after market cam like an Engel 110 with 1:1.25 rocker but cost and time for a rebuild is a bit of a restriction if I am to get her back on the road for Blackpool Breeze so stock its is. The heads will be stock rebuilt as mentioned and for the carbs I found a pair of Dellorto 36 twin choke on ebay and I've just ordered the linkage, manifolds and the correct size jets. Just now need the parts to arrive and I can get on with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment