Sunday 13 February 2011

Finally Getting Some Where

Paul's Iron Man (camp) Impression!
Well today was another good day, went to the sports centre with Paul this morning so I didn't get started until about half 11. I decided to concentrate on the drivers side (Left) door sill so I can get the floor pans done. Just before I started to weld Paul noticed my welding mask which in painted metallic red and seemed to think it looked like Iron Man's mask!

Cut out ready for the new sill
Test fitted and ready to be welded











My welds
All welded in














I had a go last week at it but messed it up and wasn't happy with the alignment and the welds. I kept blowing holes and because I only did half of it so looked a bit dodgy. This bothered me and was a bit nervous about doing more welding.

 I ordered a new panel and cut out the rest of the original. I decided the best way to go about it is with a slight overlap. At first the welds were just spots and when I turned the gas up I found it much easier and managed to do some continuous seams. My welding skills are not the best but I'm starting to take my time and improving each time. I'm quite happy with the result, they just need a grinding to make every thing look smooth.

Flintstone Car
Rotten Floor Pan










With the sill in and just needing a bit of a tidy, I decided it was time to cut the floor out. I cut under the heater channel and then with a reciprocating saw cut it out up to the pedals which are still to be removed. I have to do this on my own so I though  this would be the best way. When I putted the pan off it left one of the bolts behind. By the looks of in I only have to replace about 2/3 so that should make things easier.

So Tuesday I should be back on with it, cut out the rest of the floor pan and remove the edge from the chassis and start on the bolt line/closing plate and then eventually get the floor pan by the end of the week.

1 comment:

  1. Turning the gas up will cool the weld and will help stop you blowing holes in the material but if its too high you won't get decent penetration and the joint could crack!

    ReplyDelete