Monday 25 April 2011

Porsche Pain

After an Easter weekend of binging, yesterday I decided it was time to give the liver a rest and get some work done on the rust bucket. I woke up this morning at 6am for some reason and started to plan my day, I got to the garage about 10am ish and after I decided to get the seat mounts done I picked up one on the seats on the way.

The first obvious problem was that the seat runners are a bit wide to fit between the chassis and the heater channel. After an hour or so of changing my mind about how to do this I finally went back to my original idea. The plan is to use a beam of 50x50 box section across the floor plan to bolt the front of the runners to and a couple of individual mounts at the back.

I Drilled some holes and welded on a captive nut to bolt to. Next problem was that the front mounts bolt down at an angle so I had to cut a couple of slots and tap it down to suit the seat runner mounts. After welding up the cuts I added some angle brackets so the box section can be welded to the floor pan. The box section has a radius to the corners which may result in a bad weld so the angle will help provide a good connection.

Front mount
 I spent most the day on this and then started to mate the rear mounts. These new brackets I designed have given me full travel of the seat runners where before I only had about half as they were welded and fixed to the original runner for the car and seemed to restrict travel. Also I have positioned the seat so that there is some leg room in the back while it is still comfortable to drive in the front without hugging the steering wheel. Another problem I had in the past was if any one tried to get in the back it was very tight and awkward, this has also been fixed as I can now move the seats all the way forward.
New mount positions
My seats are looking tatty and as soon as I have the funds after the MOT, the first thing I will spend any money on is having these recovered in red leather. Tomorrow I'm going for an early start and hoping to finish fabrication all the mounts and maybe have these welded in by the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment