Saturday 30 April 2011

Zinc Induced Dank

So yesterday (Friday) I was forced to take a day off the job as I was in dank/hangover mode. I crawled in at about half 4 in the morning and woke up and I had a bit of a hangover and the dreaded dank. Thursday I started to feel the symptoms of the Flu coming on but I knew exactly what it was. Wednesday I was welding zinc nuts for the seat mounts and I remember having trouble with one because the wire speed was wrong and I remember an odd smell which must have been the zinc fumes. Some one at work told me that if you inhale fumes from welding galv steel you can get flu symptoms, I'm guessing this is the case as today (Saturday) I woke up feeling fine apart from a bit of a sore throat and my missing voice. So yesterday was sat in front of the TV all day feeling sorry for my self subjected to nothing but Royal Wedding coverage be cause there was nothing else on, Like showing it on one channel isn't enough!

Right Hanger Tacked and Clamped
Left Hanger Tacked




So to day I was back on the job. Wednesdays post I wrote that I had bolted up all the rear panels ready to tack weld up. Today I put the wing beading on between the wings and body so that the wings were in there true position. Next I did a bit of tapping and aligning so that every thing looked straight, one I was happy with this I clamped up the new bumper hanger panels and tack welded them in place. These were not the best fit so it took a bit of hammering, clamping and forcing to get them in the right place before tack welding.












Next I removed the wings and fully welded up the bumper hangers and rear valence. I wanted to have the rear panel as a bolt on but I decided it will be a much more neat job if I weld it on and won't scratch the paint every time I remove it. The welding was straight forward and I had to make a couple of filler pieces but once doe that was all the major welding done.

Patches Required all over
Back end complete














All there is to do for the welding is patch up a few small areas and then its on to the gear box, suspension and steering.

No comments:

Post a Comment